A classroom teacher fosters and enhances an effective learning environment; facilitates the development or revision of curriculum and instructional materials; establishes learning objectives and standards based upon general District guidelines; provides instruction; counsels, disciplines, and supervises to meet the individual needs of assigned students, and evaluates student performance and progress.
- Fosters an educational environment conducive to the learning and maturation process of assigned students; plans an instructional program designed to meet individual student needs and whole groups which may include at risk or special needs youth; prepares lesson plans.
- Uses necessary and appropriate instructional methods and materials, which are suited to the well-being of the students and to the nature of the learning activities, program and/or curriculum involved; implements established program or curriculum objectives; attends in-service training and continues to improve professional growth through study and experimentation to remain current in methods and techniques for instruction.
- Establishes and implements, in a positive and supportive manner, classroom policies and procedures governing student behavior and conduct; provides guidance, counseling, and discipline to encourage students to meet standards of achievement and conduct; makes referrals for assistance where appropriate.
- Confers with students, parents or guardians, and other staff, maintaining an open positive relationship as appropriate to provide guidance and evaluation, and to encourage student achievement.
- Establishes classroom goals and objectives, in conformation with courses of study specified by State and School District statutes, regulations and guidelines; evaluates and records student progress; prepares reports for parents or guardians.
- Collects and interprets a variety of data; provides reports for administrative purposes.
- Directs the activities of assigned non-certificated personnel.
- Attends or participates in all required staff meetings and other activities deemed necessary by the District and/or building principal, in order to accomplish the objectives of the position and for professional achievement.