Dual Language Washington, a special interest group of the Washington Association for Bilingual Education, and OSPI present co-author Karen Beeman and 20 Breakout Sessions by Leading Washington Dual Language Practitioners.
In response to our members request for practical, ongoing professional development and networking opportunities, Dual Language Washington and the Washington State Office for Migrant and Bilingual Education are honored to present a two-day, dual language institute for teachers in bilingual and dual language programs.
Location: Tacoma Convention & Trade Center
Cost: $75 per day, $150 for two days
Clock Hours: up to 12 Clock Hours, 6 for each day
Audience: for Educators, K – 12
Day One: Friday October 28, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- 5 one-hour breakout sessions led by leading dual language practitioners and directors
- Each breakout session will include a workshop on, math, reading, writing, science/social studies/other
- The learning targets focus on superior, practical practices leading to student success
Day Two: Saturday, October 29, 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
We are honored to host a one-day professional development with Karen Beeman, M. Ed., of Teaching for Biliteracy (teachingforbiliteracy.com), a leading author, educator and professional developer who is a featured presenter in the highest performing dual language school districts both nationally and globally. She has also been featured at many dual language conferences nationally. Karen will present on Teaching for Biliteracy: Strengthening Bridges between Languages focused on:
- Review of the three premises for teaching for biliteracy and latest research
- Exploring the Bridge within a Multilingual Perspective of Language Ability
- Identifying the Strategic Use of Two Languages
- Experiencing and Creating Bridges: Comparing and Contrasting Spanish & English
- Exploring biliteracy units using the Biliteracy Unit Framework
- Focus on developing highly effective, integrated and accountable units of study to excite, ignite, and delight all stakeholders.
For more information, contact Michael Shapiro: email@example.com